My house is surrounded by just a small plot of land and the only fruit tree we have that’s fruiting is the ambarella plant. Ambarella’s normally quite sour if eaten raw but it has this fragrant taste that I just love. I also love pickled fruits especially mangoes…yum. So here’s how I picked the ambarella fruit. I do not have the right proportion, as most of the time I just add ingredients by estimate.
- Ambarella fruit (approximately 50)
- Peel the ambarella fruit.
- Coat the ambarella with salt in a large bowl/basin. Let it sit in the fridge for about 4-5 hours. Drain the salt water.
- Mix approximately 2-3 handfuls of sugar evenly with the ambarella. Keep in fridge.
- The pickled ambarella should be ready in about 2-3 days. Stir the fruit once a day so it will coat with the sugar syrup.
No water or vinegar is required, as the sugar will turn into liquid.