I was craving for pasta again. Another heartwarming food I must say. For pasta, my favourite ones are the tomato based ones. And one thing good about making it at home is, you can really ‘tune’ the pasta according to your taste buds. You know how when you eat out, sometimes the pasta sauce is too sour, or too bland. I really can’t stand it when the pasta is too sour. So that’s why making it at home eliminates all these uncertainties! I got this recipe from Yee Ling. Only made minor changes but I think this sauce rocks!
Ingredients (Makes 4 servings):
3 Spicy sausages (those italian ones that they sell in the supermarket) – Skin removed
1 Brown Onion (Medium Size)
3 Rashes of Bacon (Lean)
1 Can of Button Mushrooms
1 Can of Diced Tomatoes (400g)
1 Can of Tomato Paste (The smallest can you can get)
1 Handful of spaghetti
Sugar and salt to taste
1. Cut the onion into small bits, and the bacon into chunks. Then heat the pan up with some oil, and sautee the onions with the bacon until both are brown.
2. Cut the sausages into big chunks and sautee together until all ingredients are browned and there is a very nice fragrance.
3. Add in mushrooms, sautee for about 2 minutes.
4. Add in 2/3 of the tomato paste and mix with the ingredients.
5. Add in diced tomatoes.
6. Add the remainder of the tomato paste with one tea cup of water. This depends on how much sauce you want. You can use between one to one and a half cups of water. Too much will dilute the sauce.
7. This is the point where you add sugar. And to me, this is probably the most important step. Because adding sugar determines the sourness level of your sauce. I add in quite a bit because like I mentioned, I don’t like sour sauces! Add also a pinch of salt.
8. Simmer for another 6 minutes and the sauce is done! Mix it with the pasta.
For pasta, before cooking the sauce, boil some water in a pot and add in a lot of salt. Then cook the pasta according to the instructions on the packet.