I always love molten chocolate cakes, especially the one in Bakerzin, I think they just bake theirs to perfection. One day, about 6 months ago, I decided to make my own, and after looking at the online recipes, it looks too easy to make. But the funny thing is, I have probably tried this recipe at least 5 times to come to the one that I made below. Somehow, the first few tries did not work out. I remember the first one didnt taste too much like cake, second one was rock hard, and I just couldn’t figure out what was wrong.
But finally, after so many tries, I managed to get it! And I feel that the magic is in the way the flour is folded into the chocolate mixture at the end, and the oven temperature of course. Each oven is unique on its own i think, and when the recipe says 10 minutes, it really depends on the individual ovens.
Here’s the recipe. I have kind of adapted my own way of doing this, but I got my inspiration from hunger hunger’s post.
Makes 4 yummylicious molten chocolate cakes.
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 227g unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 8 squares of cooking chocolate (for a sweeter taste, I use Van Houten cooking chocolate, if not, use any dark chocolates)
- 110g caster sugar
- 6 tablespoons plain flour
- Preheat oven to 210 degrees celcius.
- Melt the chocolate over a hot water bath. Cool.
- Combine sugar with eggs, then beat till the colour turns a bit pale.
- Add butter and stir. Then add the egg yolks.
- Pour in the cooled chocolate mixture and stir. Make sure the mixture is well combined.
- Fold in the flour (in 3 tablespoons intervals). It is important to fold this properly else the cake will not turn out soft and nice.
- Pour into ramekins, or you can use non stick (about 3.5 inch diameter) baking ramekin (I am not sure how to call it exactly), you can see the picture below. I would pour up to about 1.5 inches to 2 inches high.
- Bake for 8 minutes. (However, please note that this totally depends on your oven. For first time baking, I would suggest looking at how long one takes and then you can leave the rest after you know the timing).
- Take the molten cuties out! And turn it over on a plate. You can serve it with vanilla ice cream or with strawberries, for my picture, I served it with a piece of orange.